Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fall Leaves


I received a video, via email, of my grandchildren in Chicago jumping into a huge pile of leaves. They were having so much fun!  They were jumping from a step ladder.

It got me thinking that our grandchildren in Florida don't know what pretty fall leaves look like.

Grandma decided to fix that. Grandpa and I took a ride up the mountain in search of the brightest leaves. Grandpa pulled over and I jumped out to pull "fresh" leaves off the trees.  When I put them in the box, I realized that they would probably dry out and fall apart before they arrived. To solve that problem, I got out the iron and wax paper. Using a tea towel, I pressed the leaves between the wax paper with a hot iron. I then carefully peeled the wax paper off. This put a waxed coating on the leaves to preserve them.

I placed them in a Ziploc bag, then into a padded envelope along with a letter and some fall picture books.

They were excited to get the package.

Before waxing.





Grandma's letter




No comments:

Post a Comment